Saturday, March 10, 2012

How we told our family about you...

Here's another catch-up story for you, Baby...

After an initial ultrasound showed a nice, strong heartbeat, we decided to start planning out how we'd tell our immediate family about you!

At just around 11 weeks, we decided it was time to tell everyone our good news! I sent out an invite to everyone asking them to come over for your dad's 34th birthday party at our house. Thankfully, just about everyone was able to make it!

I asked both Grandma & Grandpa Sticha and Grandma & Grandpa Rasmusson to come over early...to help set-up, of course! ;)

When your grandparents arrived, we began with our normal chit-chatting and worked to get the food out and prepared. I asked Grandma Sticha to help put out "Paul's birthday cupcakes" that spelled "Happy Birthday". I told Grandma that the cupcakes weren't in order in the box and asked if she could arrange them in order on a serving plate for me. The chit-chatting continued as Grandma Sticha started to work on arranging the cupcakes. Both Grandmas were at the kitchen table and suddenly Grandma Sticha stopped what she was doing. I asked, "What's wrong, Mom?" and she said, "Well, there seems to be some extra cupcakes...." Instantly, I said, "Oh no, I hope they didn't give us the wrong order!". (wink, wink!) I grabbed the cake box from the fridge and said, "Let's check the cake and make sure that's right." As I walked over to the Grandmas....I lifted the cover and both Grandma's peered in.....


SURPRISE!

Grandma Sticha asked, "Are you serious?" and when I said "YEP!", both Grandma's started tearing up and hugging me. At this point, both Grandpas are wondering "What the heck is going on here!" I turned to show them the cake too and Grandpa Sticha asked, "Really?" From there, we were all a blubbery mess of tears, smiles and laughs. It was so fun!


So what about those darn cupcakes?

Yeah, they were supposed to spell out "Happy Birthday Daddy!" but we never got that far before whipping out the cake! :)

Shortly after all this, your aunts, uncles and cousins started to arrive. I made your grandparents pretend to know nothing and we all welcomed everyone else into the house, while trying to contain our excitement!


As everyone walked in, I'd say, "Did you see Paul's birthday cupcakes?" They'd walk over and stare like "Daddy? What?" and then we'd lift the lid of the cake box and let the news really sink in!


It was such a fun day! We ate well, talked about you and had a really great time!


I couldn't have asked for a better way to let such important people know about you, Baby! Wait until you meet them all in person...they're fantastic!


-Mom & Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment