Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bean there, done that...

Thanks to my uncle I got a HUGE bag of fresh garden green beans. I spent tonight snapping beans and sipping wine (really snapping beans wouldn't be nearly as fun without a little wine!)

I was able to snap, clean, blanch and freeze a HUGE freezer bag of beans (perhaps for some chilly winter night) AND I saved some to use on Saturday for Paul's Dad's birthday party (DECK party). I found this recipe for green beans on the grill. I, of course, don't intend to follow it...but it's nice to know it can be done (I hope it turns out....fingers crossed!)

While I was at it, I also dug into cleaning and chopping our weekly CSA delivery.
CSA= Community Supported Agriculture
Our delivery comes from Bridgewater Produce Farm in Northfield. The farm is owned & operated by one of my Mom's best friends from High School and her family. I SO look forward to our Wednesday delivery of fresh produce! Paul isn't nearly as exited as I am....mostly because it turns out our CSA doesn't deliver licorice OR potato chips....Say What?!?! (tehe!)
If you know me, I hate wasting....I will chippity chop up EVERYTHING we receive and if it ends up being far too much for just a pair of newlyweds, well then I make a BIG vat of soup and hand it off to other suckers...errr...I mean friends! These friends could easily be dumping it all in the trash as soon as I walk away, BUT at least I don't have to do it...I just couldn't "stomach" that!

This week's delivery included tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cucumbers, a cantaloupe, cabbage, and some broccoli. I'm looking forward to using the tomatoes & onions on our burgers this weekend and the broccoli in a pasta salad I plan to invent tomorrow night!

If all (or anything) turns out - I'll try to snap some photos to share! With the raging heat, I just might need to add a pitcher of sangria to the menu too!

Stay cool (yeah, yeah...I know, you will!)








1 comment:

  1. I hope you enjoy those beans from alibaba! If you want to bring some of that sangria to my house I will gladly except it!!!

    ReplyDelete